The Hebrew Standard (September 9, 1904)

The east side yesterday saw a parade the duplicate of which, it is said, had never occurred before in this country. It was the occasion of the removal of the scrolls from the synagogue of the Congregation Adath Jeschurin of Jassy, at 131 Hester street, to the new synagogue of the congregation at 50-60 Rivington street.

The parade went through nearly all of the streets that lie between Hester and Rivington streets. Three hundred policemen under command of Inspector Schmittberger escorted the marchers to see that no disorder occurred in the ranks of the thousands of onlookers, but there was not the slightest sign of disorder in the entire four hours that the ceremony took up.

The parade was led by a band, which was immediately followed by an open carriage drawn by two magnificent horses. In the carriage were two young men of the congregation, each holding a staff, from which waved the white and blue flag of Zion. Each of the two other young men held a gorgeous cushion, on which rested a key of solid gold. Next were eight coaches, in each of which were four members of the congregation, each member carrying two scrolls. Then came a thousand members of the congregation on foot, walking in fours.

Another band led a second division, in which were carriages containing the president and three vice-presidents of the congregation, and then twenty coaches, in which were seated the members of the Ladies' Auxiliary of the congregation.

Arriving in front of the new synagogue, speeches were made on the stoop by President L. Berkowitz and A. Markowitz, one of the vice-presidents, who presented the golden keys to Mr. Weisman, another officer of the congregation. The paraders then sang "The Star-Spangled Banner." Then the outer gate and the door were unlocked with the keys, and the members of the congregation filed into their new house of worship.

The services within were simple. A speech was made by Rabbi Conovitz congratulating the members on the beauty and the comfort of the new synagogue. The meeting ended with the singing of "Home, Sweet Home." The crowd which followed the carriages and the marchers numbered 10,000, according to the police.